Town Clerk

The Town Clerk’s Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with the exception of Holidays. Evening hours are available by appointment only.


Registrar of Vital Statistics: The Town Clerk (as Registrar) is responsible for maintaining all births and deaths which occur within the Town. Birth and death records are not open to the public for inspection. For genealogical purposes, death records become available after fifty (50) years after the date of issuance. Birth records become available after seventy-five (75) years.

Filing Officer for the Town: All local laws, oaths of office, affidavits of publication, resignations, petitions, annual budgets, fiscal reports, assessment rolls, bonds and other pertinent town documents are to be filed in the Town Clerk’s office.

Issuing Agent on behalf of State Agencies: The Town Clerk issues the following licenses as an agent for New York State: Marriage, Dog, Conservation, Bingo and Games of Chance, and Handicapped parking permits.

Issuing Agent for Town of Chester: The Town Clerk is responsible for issuing local licenses/permits for peddlers and/or transient merchants.

Records Management Officer: The Town Clerk is the custodian of all permanent Town records and provides for the storage, retrieval and disposition of records for all departments of the Town. The records are retained as set forth by the New York State Archives Records Retention Schedule for municipalities.

Recording Secretary to the Town Board: The Town Clerk attends all Town Board meetings and is responsible for recording the actions of the Town Board. The minutes are the official record of the Town Board and are maintained permanently for legal and historical purposes.

Elections: The Town Clerk assists (when requested) the Board of Elections with all special, primary and general elections in the Town.

Cash Control Officer: The Town Clerk is responsible for the collection and disbursement of funds to the state, county and local fiscal officers of all fees collected.

Records Access Officer: The Town Clerk is responsible for all Freedom of Information requests (FOIL). Requests must be received in writing. Fees for copies: Twenty five cents ($ .25) per copy up to 9 by 14 inches. Copies of other records may be charged based upon the actual cost of reproduction. Freedom of Information does not apply to court records.

Other services: The Town Clerk sells, zoning books, zoning maps, and subdivision books. A Notary Public is available at the Town Clerk’s office.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need for a marriage license?
The following documents are required for a marriage license: birth record (certificate), photo identification (driver’s license or passport). Both parties must be at least 18 years of age. If it is not a first marriage, proof that the previous marriage(s) ended must be submitted (certified or original divorce decree, (NOT A PHOTOCOPY) or a certified copy of a death certificate. The fee is $40. The license is valid for 60 days. However, the couple must have the license at least 24 hours before it can be used. Couples must also provide: social security number, place of birth, parents full name (including spelling of mother’s maiden name), and country of birth for parents.

The Town Clerk may conduct notary services and marriage licensing in person. Please call if you are in need of these services.

How do I license my dog?
Dogs must be licensed at four months of age. Proof of rabies must be submitted before the license can be issued. If the dog has been spayed or neutered, the fee is $10 (proof must be submitted) The fee for unaltered dogs is $20.

Forms and Documents Downloads


DEC Links:


Measles Information:

Informacion Sobre El Sarampión – Documentos En Español